Single Visit RCT
In the past, dentists usually split root canal into two or more visits. Nowadays, root canal therapy has become increasingly automated and can be performed more quickly than ever thought possible. Technological advancements made it possible to complete a root canal procedure in a single sitting without compromising treatment quality. Yes, with the advent of rotary Ni-Ti, single visit RCT has gained increased acceptance as the treatment of choice for most endodontic cases. The prevention of root canal contamination and bacterial re-growth that can occur in multi-appointment cases makes Single visit RCT an excellent, possibly most preferred, treatment choice.
After you have been adequately anesthetized, your dentist will gently remove the infected dental pulp, thoroughly clean the inside of the tooth and fill it with a rubber-like natural polymer. Ultrasonic techniques may be used to clean the diseased root canal. With the help of CEREC system a new porcelain crown is designed and fabricated in an hour. The entire root canal procedure is completed in a single session and you will not need a temporary crown or a second appointment.
Symptoms of an infected root canal may be
- Mild to severe tooth pain that gets worse when you bite down on the tooth
- Prolonged sensitivity to hot or cold foods
- Swelling and tenderness of gums near the problem area
- Small bumps or pimple-like lesions in the gum tissues
You may be eligible for a Single visit root canal in any of the following cases
- The tooth still harbors some live pulp and is in the early stages of pulpal degeneration
- Fractured anterior or premolar teeth located in the aesthetic zone of the mouth
- Physically disabled and unable to make it for multiple appointments
- Require endodontic therapy for restorative reasons
- When temporary seals cannot be provided between appointments
- Exposure of nerve tissue during dental treatment or tooth fracture
- Require sedation or operating room for treatment
- Have a heart valve damage or prosthetic implant and require repeated regimens of antibiotics
- Apprehensive but cooperative
Those undergoing a single visit RCT may experience a slightly higher rate of swelling and are more likely to take painkillers. Use of ultrasonic instruments can result in post-operative pain and flare ups.
A single visit RCT saves time and ensures high levels of success and patient comfort. There is absolutely no chance for microbial contamination and flare-ups caused by leakage or loss of temporary seal. Most importantly, it minimizes fear and anxiety in apprehensive patients.
‘Maximum dentistry in minimum visits’ has been the rule in modern dentistry. When canals are cleaned and disinfected at the first appointment, why not complete treatment at that time. A single visit root canal may be an attractive option as it saves time and reduces cost as well. If you notice tooth pain, swelling or tenderness see your dentist right away. Your dentist will decide if you are eligible for a high-tech, gentle root canal in just a single visit!