Ovulation induction is a common infertility treatment where your doctor may suggest fertility medications to assist your reproductive system. These ovulation induction medications are either administered orally or in the form of injections to stimulate the follicles in the woman’s ovaries to produce multiple mature eggs in a cycle. This process improves the chances for fertilization either naturally through sexual intercourse or via artificial insemination. Clomid tablets or follicle stimulating hormone injections are administered to induce ovulation and help you get pregnant.
Your doctor prescribes medications to increase the number of eggs ovulated per cycle to boost the chances of conception. You will be monitored closely via ultrasounds and blood samples. Based on the results, your doctor will adjust the medication dosage if needed and inform youas to the right time for intercourse or intrauterine insemination.
The Symptoms You may need an Ovulation induction if
- You are producing low levels of hormones for ovulation
- You ovulate infrequently
- You are not ovulating at all
The Eligibility You are eligible for Ovulation induction if
- You have a normal uterine cavity
- You are capable of producing healthy eggs but still suffer from unexplained infertility
- You have at least one normal fallopian tube
- Your partner has a normal sperm count
- You are undergoing an IVF cycle to maximize the egg production
- You are undergoing IUI to ensure that a mature egg will be available for fertilization
The Risks Involved
Risks associated with Ovulation induction includes chances of multiple births and development of ovarian cysts.A rare risk that can occur is ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, which can cause rapid weight gain, abdominal pain, shortness of breath, bloating, vomiting and nausea.
The success rates vary depending upon the age of the woman, the type of medications and other infertility factors present in the couple. General outcomes for ovulation induction are favorable.
Ovulation induction offers couples an increased chance of conception. If you are looking for some help getting pregnant fix your fertility appointment today with GBR and start your family tomorrow!