Diabetic foot ulceration is a common condition in people with diabetes and the leading cause of lower extremity amputation. Fortunately non-surgical treatments like medication, orthotics, braces and other therapies may help speed up the healing of soft tissue damage caused by foot ulcers. Opt for a nonsurgical treatment to help heal your foot ulcers. Go ahead and live your life without the pain of foot ulcers. Take care of your feet and they will carry you for life!
Non-surgical management for diabetic foot ulcers include any of the following
- A Diabetic doctor may clean and disinfect the area, and prescribe antibiotics to clear up infection and prevent it from travelling to the bone of the foot. Daily wound care is necessary until it heals completely.
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy involves making the patient lie in a transparent chamber which is then filled with 100% oxygen. Breathing pure oxygen not only speeds up the healing but also stimulates the repair of damaged tissue.
- Custom fit orthotic shoe inserts relieve pressure and protect the ulcer from friction when you wear shoes.
- Custom fit braces are usually recommended to take weight off the affected foot.
The following are some of the symptoms of Diabetic foot ulcers
- Unusual swelling, rashes, redness, brown discoloration and burning or itching sensations
- Scaling and excessive skin dryness
- Odors from the feet
- Blisters or sores on the feet or legs
- Red craters in the skin
- Odorous discharge, pain and numbness
- Obesity or excessive and rapid weight gain
- Difficulty in walking
- Cold feet
- Puncture wounds, bruises, pressure areas, warmth, scratches, cuts and nail problems
You are eligible for a non-surgical Diabetic foot ulcer treatment if you are committed to
- Keeping your blood glucose levels within the normal range
- Wearing diabetic shoes, casts, foot braces, compression wraps or shoe inserts to keep the pressure off the ulcers
- Remaining on a strict diet and off-loading pressure from your feet to allow your foot ulcers to heal quickly
- Losing weight if you are overweight
- Cleaning wounds carefully, applying infection preventing ointments and changing dressing frequently
Even with oxygen therapy severe foot ulcers may take weeks or months to heal completely. However, there are absolutely no risks associated with this treatment. Foot orthotics can cause sweaty feet but this can also be eliminated by opting for more breathable ones. Having the wrong foot orthotics can just make problems worse!
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy has been found to decrease the rate of major amputations. The tissue oxygenation which occurs in the hyperbaric chamber heals soft tissue wounds and promotes the repair of damaged tissue. When the oxygen therapy is used in conjunction with standard wound care, it has proven to enhance the healing of difficult or limb threatening wounds.
When it comes to the treatment of a Diabetic foot ulcer, the best treatment is preventive maintenance. With good care, diabetic foot ulcers can be prevented. Properly designed accommodative foot orthotics, daily foot inspections, moisturizing your feet regularly, controlling your diabetes and proper fitting shoes can work well for prevention.